An expert in implementing innovation and cultural change in influential and progressive brands, Claire’s initial foray into the retail market came as Argos was embroiled in a hostile takeover. With the challenge of reinventing a struggling brand, she faced a steep learning curve in people management, understanding the customer and innovative multi-channel technological change. It was this experience that triggered her passion for taking retail brands to the next level.
Claire Harper Marketing & Brand Career
At the age of 26, Claire joined Ocado as its first Head of Customer Acquisition and PR. However, she was soon promoted to Head of Marketing and led the visionary revolution in grocery shopping, turning the experience on its head to create a whole new customer-centric space in the market.
By 30, Claire was headhunted to join Sainsbury’s. As new CEO Justin King’s Head of Online Marketing, she was part of the new senior leadership team entrusted with the brief to ‘Make Sainsbury’s Great Again’. Drawing on her proficiency at adapting business plans (to reflect the ever-changing retail market), appreciation of the need to get back to basics and understanding of the customer, Claire launched Sainsbury’s multi-channel experience and consolidated the brand with its customer communications.
Having helped place Sainsbury’s back on the map, Claire became the first female board director at Yorkshire based Mamas and Papas, a family business that had moved from the wholesale to retail market. Tasked with developing and growing the brand’s presence in the UK and abroad, Claire helped build and strengthen a positive culture and ensured the business prioritised understanding the customer at the deepest level.
In 2011, following the birth of her second child India, who along with her sister Coco provided the name and inspiration for the business, Claire took the plunge and decided to mix her vast retail and commercial experience with her entrepreneurial spirit, determination and resilience to set up IndiaCoco.
Claire Harper public keynote speaking
Claire’s passion and energy is a feature of her keynote speeches. Added to her vast knowledge of the retail market and understanding of business growth and change, she is well placed to convey her wisdom, know-how and strategies.
Claire Harper Keynote Topics
- Marketing and branding. An insight into the essential tools to succeed in capturing the hearts and minds of new and loyal customers.
- The ideal customer. How to ensure your brand continues to adapt and develop its customer strategy in a constantly changing retail market.
- Women in business. How to challenge the status quo and prove that the male-dominated world in business and retail is no longer a reality.
- Change Management and leadership. Why leading from the front, embracing change, developing talent and empowering colleagues is a good recipe for achieving success with a highly motivated, positive and energetic team.
- Successful start-ups. How to deal with the rollercoaster ride of creating and establishing your own business and draw on the challenges that inspire and help you to push the boundaries
CLAIRE HARPER SPEAKING CLIENTS
Sainsbury’s, Burberry, National Entrepreneurs Week, Mamas & Papas, The Blackstone Group, City Sprint, BIRA – British Independent Retailers Association, Fujitsu, Horticultural Trade Association, SPLAT Global International Marketing Conference Moscow and MarketThink Financial Services.