Having quite literally leapt out of her comfort zone a few years ago whilst cliff-diving in America, British adventurer Laura Kennington now enthusiastically encourages others through her engaging public talks to think big, be brave and to start now.
Contact Great British Speakers today to book adventurer Laura Kennington for your next event.
Laura Kennington spent her early life as the only girl on a farm in Suffolk. This outdoor life and countryside exploration gave her her first taste of adventure.
Moving from the countryside to London, she gained an insight into sports science and how the human body copes under immense physical stress whilst working in the fitness industry. This lead her to explore the limits of her own body – and explore what the world had to offer – and she hasn’t looked back since.
Laura has taken part in a number of physically and mentally tough challenges over the years, taking in countries as far and wide as the UK, Ireland, Germany, Channel Islands, Russia and The Netherlands, amongst many more.
– August 2014: Laura spent 10 days on board the Pangaea Explorations’ 72ft yacht, named the Sea Dragon, helping to crew it from Sweden to the UK.
– May 2015: she set out to kayak down the entire 2,300 mile length of the Volga river in Russia. However, due to unforeseen safety issues, the challenge was abandoned after six weeks.
– August 2015: she cycled 2,600km in just under a month on the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland.
– December 2015: she kayaked 236 miles down the River Thames in just over a week in the runup to Christmas.
– June 2016: she completed an unorthodox triathlon around the Channel Islands; swimming around Sark, Kayaking and running around Guernsey and cycling around Jersey.
– May 2017: Laura ran 100 miles (the length of Fuerteventura) in four consecutive days, as well as cycled 281km from London to Paris in 24 hours.
– August 2017: she cycled out from London on a Monday night, caught the overnight ferry to Holland, pedalled to Rotterdam, returned to the ferry on Wednesday and was back home in the UK by Thursday lunchtime.
– April 2018: cycled the North Coast 500, a scenic route around the North Coast of Scotland.
– May 2018: Laura took part in the Great North Ride; at 6,000km, this is the world’s longest signposted cycle route. Starting in Scotland, she cycled down the length of the UK, then made her way over to France, cycling through Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden before finishing in Norway.
– August 2020: during the COVID-19 pandemic, she cycled 400 miles in six days from Brighton Pier to Clevedon Pier, and then from Bristol’s Suspension Bridge back to London’s Tower Bridge.
– May 2021: Laura visited all 15 UK National Parks for her PARK 2 PARK challenge, taking in Dartmoor, Exmoor, South Downs, New Forest, Norfolk Broads, Peak District, Brecon Beacons, Snowdon, Pembrokeshire Coast, North York Moors, Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, the Lakes District, Loch Lomond and Cairngorms – not necessarily in that order.
– April 2022: Laura co-hosted a group of 20 people aiming to reach the basecamp of Makalu – the fifth highest mountain in the world. Together, they trekked through jungles, over snowy mountain ridges, through wilderness and across valleys, achieving a distance of over 170km and an altitude of over 8,450 metres.
Laura’s energetic and charismatic talks are about the importance of mindset when it comes to challenges of any kind. From the planning and logistics that go on behind the scenes to the endurance capability of the human body and how to deal with the unexpected.
In a field where the mindset is everything, Laura has spent years forging the mental discipline needed to succeed and is driven by helping others to unleash their own incredible potential.
Laura has been inspiring audiences of all ages for years and is able to tailor her talks to your requirements.
Her talks tackle three key things:
– Endurance Performance
– Resilience and Overcoming Adversity
– The Power of Your Mindset
– How to use Failure as a Stepping Stone to Success
Laura offers public talks and group workshops; here she explores her tales of endurance, overcoming obstacles and how to follow your passion. Workshops focus on personal development with the aim of unleashing excellence. She also combined her knowledge and her fitness to provide community sessions into fun and welcoming fitness areas.
Laura has spoken at the Women’s Adventure Expo about her mindset, hosted the 2018 Yestival and has appeared on a number of podcasts including Holmlands Adventure Podcast and Tough Girl, on endurance and mental resilience.
In 2019, Laura published the book Kairos, a compelling account of her journey, from finding out what she is capable of to redefining her limits. She explores the amazing adventures she has been on and how the lesson she has learnt can be implemented elsewhere.
CLIENTS: Adventure Travel Show, Cardiff University, Chobham Academy, CoStar Group, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, Ellis Brigham Mountain Sports, Funzing, Globetrotters Club, Graphene Flagship, Holmlands, KEEN, Kendal Mountain Festival, Keswick Mountain Festival, London Business School, Much Better Adventures, National Trust, Ocean Film Festival World Tour, Royal Geographical Society, Running Adventures, Scouts, Tales of Adventure.
This was 15 minutes of high octane inspiration which had our attendees racing to put on their cycling gear. Laura’s talk was TED quality with down-to-earth advice and added storytelling flair. Plus some bloody good music. If you’re looking for a motivational speaker for your next event, you’ve found her.
Kim Willis, The Heroine’s Journey Speaker Series
Laura is an inspirational and accomplished speaker. She has undertaken some amazing adventures and provides practical insights and knowledgeable advice on her achievements to date, in a highly personable and engaging way.
Cameron Hall, Founder and Director of Holmlands
We loved Laura coming in and speaking to all of us. The group definitely enjoyed speaking to Laura on a 1-1 basis after the session and telling her about all their adventures which I am sure happens a lot.
Catherine Wilson, Co-Star Group
You were the best guest speaker we’ve had! Your talk was very inspiring and engaged so many people. I had many members of staff come up to me to say how interesting your story was.
Emma Belsey, Communications and Events Organiser, The Folkestone Academy
Listening to Laura Kennington speak is good for your soul.
Rima Patel, Co-Organiser of Yes Stories: A Night of Inspiration
Laura’s engaging and intriguing story of her adventures was brilliant. It elicited some great questions around storytelling and her approach to overcoming adversity. It was a pleasure to have her speak.
Fiona Quinn, Storytelling for Startups
If you want your pupils to really understand what embracing life’s opportunities is all about, get Laura to come and talk to your school. The stories of her adventures were both fun and inspiring and I challenge anyone who hears her speak not to be motivated to undertake some kind of challenge as a result – no matter how small.
Toby Batchelor, Teacher, Cranleigh Prep School
Laura was very motivational and an excellent speaker. She answered the questions well and was very engaging.
Various, DofE Gold Awards Ceremony at St James Palace