Guy Clapperton, is a freelance journalist and speaker, offering top-business advice through media training and interview practice, writing and editing publications and facilitating events.
Guy has been a technology and business journalist since January 1989, starting on the trade press and making his way into the nationals in 1993. You may have seen his work in the Guardian, Times, Sunday Telegraph, Observer, Independent and most recently the New Statesman (particularly as launch editor of New Statesman Tech).
As a speaker, Guy runs media training sessions in which clients hear from Guy as a journalist rather than an ex-practitioner. Additionally, he often facilitates conferences and is an experienced keynote speaker on near future developments.
Training & Coaching.
If you need more confidence and purpose talking to the media or with writing for the press, then this section is for you:
- If you work in PR, and would like a journalist to help coach and rehearse interview training then Guy is full of useful tips to help reach your potential.
- Guy also works closely alongside professional cameramen who are also able to attend these training sessions to offer additional support and training from behind the camera.
- If you need key coaching in writing for your business, whether this be newsletters, blogs, placed articles etc.. then Guy has the tools to sharpen up your print skills too!
Guy's current keynote is on the near future – a lot of (excellent) speakers will tell you about their forecasts for the next 20-25 years, but Guy is more interested in helping business prepare for the next five or so. Automation, artificial intelligence and flatter company hierarchies are all going to have an impact and they’re not in the distant future, they are immediate.
He hosted at the London’s Olympia conference centre for the launch of his 2014 book, “The Smarter Working Manifesto“, with his co-author Philip Vanhoutte. This also led to speaking engagements in Berlin and Lisbon. He has delivered keynote talks at numerous events spanning 12 countries; Malaysia, London, Holland, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, just to name a few. Guy is also a Fellow of the Professional Speaking Association UK and Ireland.
Conferences Facilitator/Events Host.
- Guy has been a panel moderator for conferences in London, Cape Town and Amsterdam.
- A speech/panel expert on media issues, hosted in London and Turkey
- He has acted as a juror/chair on several award schemes, including BAFTA, Nectar Business Awards, Guardian Small Business Awards 2014, Central and Eastern European Shared Services and Outsourcing Awards 2015.
What the clients say:
Guy has integrity and intelligence when it comes to hosting an event and a genuine desire to do everything he can to make it a success. He adopts an holistic approach and is more than happy to indulge the scrupulous points of detail any decent event organiser will have in their armoury. His relaxed style is underpinned by methodical research and attention to detail. He is a pleasure to work with.
Tracy Bosanko, Bosanko Marketing Communications – Project Director SSF UK, Director of Marketing, Chartered Wealth Management and Board Member of Hospitality Action, 2015.
I have worked with Guy as moderator on two occasions, once for Bafta and once for the BBC. On both occasions he brought the technology and its implications to life for a non-technical audience, emphasising not only the opportunities but the managerial challenges they would have to face. Guy has a rare talent in that he is authoritative as well engaging as a moderator. He has a robust journalistic approach to his subject matter and marries this with a very personable on-stage manner.
Lesley Jones, events producer, College of Production, BBC Academy